Here is a very useful quality resource for anyone interested in data journalism, data visualization and journalism on the web. LEARNO.NET is a website with free video courses for media professionals, journalism students and “anyone with a public-interest mission and a journalistic mindset”. LEARNO.NET is an initiative of the European Journalism Centre (EJC), a non-profit foundation dedicated to strengthen journalism by providing tools and resources, including training.
EJC also runs DataDrivenJournalism.net, a hub for news, resources and networking in data journalism.
Many of the available courses are related to data visualization and infographics, with a focus on how to effectively work with data and produce compelling data stories. They range from simple introductions to advanced skills. Instructors are among the very best in their specialties, including Alberto Cairo, Maarten Lambrechts, Simon Rogers and more.
The list of available courses is short but very compelling. Three are very recent:
– Cleaning Data in Excel, by Maarten Lambrechts
– Data visualization, journalism and the web: mistakes we made so you don’t have to, by Jonathon Berlin
– Going viral using using social media analytics, by Stijn Debrouwere
And these are the rest:
– Doing journalism with data: first steps, skills and tools, by Paul Bradshaw, Alberto Cairo, Steve Doig, Simon Rogers and Nicolas Kayser-Bril
– Charting tools for the newsroom, by Maarten Lambrechts (upcoming)
– Verification: the basics, by Craig Silverman and Claire Wardle
– Managing data journalism projects, by Jacopo Ottaviani
– Google search for journalists, by Nicholas Whitaker
– Bulletproof data journalism, by Stijn Debrouwere
It’s great initiative and we are hoping to see more courses in the near future.